Enchanting; the good, the bad, the Over Powered

Enchanting. It’s great! It’s awesome! It’s… Busted. Currently, the pool of enchantments is too small,
the cost too cheap, and the draw backs not strong enough.

In short, I’ll explain what I mean.

1. Enchanting is VERY STRONG, the cost of 1 silver is nothing once your 20 hurs in.
    I would like to see the price of enchanting to go up to 20 silver or higher per attempt,
    or have a chance to fail. The downsides need to be way more brutal as well. With
    just 8 gold I was able to make best is slot gear for my character, and use that to
    face-tank any damage/boss in the game, no rolling, no blocks, nothing, just take it
    as it comes.

2. Chance to gain stamina on damage delt is too strong. You can attack forever with
    this one enchantment.

3. Life gain on Damge Delt is busted and should only exist on the Crow Ring. The
    Crow Ring needs a static -50% max health penalty for balance.

4. Focus gain %, and Focus on Damage Delt are also far too strong, even just 1% is
    beyond busted. I would remove these mods.

5. Buying gear from the NPCs in town to spam enchant them is also too strong, All
    you need is money to make the best gear in the game. I would rather the NPCs
    only sell blueprints, so you must craft your own gear instead, this will force players
    to not just buy what the blacksmith offers and enchant it to best in slot tier.

6. NPCs should not offer ANY ingots or Planks, gems, runes, ECT. Only the general
    merchant is okay, because he generally only sells a hand full of single items.

All of these problems should be looked at because, once I figured out that I could just
farm mass sums of coin, I can make any problem go away. I love the game and really
enjoyed my 70 hurs so far, but I can see how enchanting being too easy, and buying
gear from the NPCs will make players quit faster. I would say, quintuple the number of
enchantments in the game, and then add 20 new really bad effects, and make all the bad
effects MUCH worse, so you really can only use 1 piece on a build. This will help
mitigate the problem with Over Powered Builds that will soon take over YouTube once
the rest of the population catches up.

P.S. ~ Plate Armor is busted once enchanted to be lighter, please make it to where
rolling less item weight and equip load is MUCH harder to get on Plate Armor.

3 Likes

I think everything mentioned is cool and fun to use.

So they’re fine as they are and no need for nerf to make the game boring.

You roll for broken items and then complain why they’re broken? leave it to players to decide of they wanna use the op builds or not. It’s that simple.

2 Likes

Honestly, I’ve never felt rare items were overpowered.

Plagued items are cripplingly horrible and not worth the penalties, but most of the rare bonuses are kind of meh.

The few that might be really good are like health on damage dealt, but I’ve never seemed to find that bonus on anything I could equip at my tier.

It’s probably just because there are so many other bonuses that it ends up being quite rare. If it ends up on a plagued enchant, it’s basically garbage and vendor candy.

I agree, but I’m a really invested ARPG player, it’s really all I play. I just think that money and equipment and enchanting is far too easy to do.

Basically, if anything you suggest is implemented, I’m asking for a refund. I’m normally the type to just uninstall, but when something really pisses me off I’d negative review, ask for refund, and if rejected, post another negative review noting that refund was rejected.

The game doesn’t need nerfing at this point. Plagued items are massively crippling and the penalties need to be nerfed and bonuses increased.

I wear mesh armor currently, but it doesn’t seem like it’s particularly effective at preventing damage. It’s already in the heavy range and I don’t have the equip load to wear plate, so weight reduction might be the only way to even equip it and you request a nerf… why don’t you let the developers decide what needs nerfing and only request buffs?

Nobody gets upset when something underpowered is buffed, but many players who enjoyed something that got nerfed go into a frenzy.

The last thing you want to do in early access is enrage part of the player base.

Anybody who asks for a nerf like you are sounds to me like a toxic player. I don’t enjoy overly difficult games or games difficult for the sake of being difficult. If this becomes that, I wouldn’t have bought it after realizing it was one of those games.

Games are fun because they are fun, not because they are difficult.

Difficulty is much like RNG, a certain amount of it is necessary in a game, but more than that is bad, often to the point where it’s no longer fun.

I already feel many elements in the game are too difficult, such as parry timing that I’ll likely never master and many other players have also shared the same viewpoint and simply ignore that parry exists.

Then, there’s you asking for bigger penalties because you think something is overpowered. Maybe they will add more difficult encounters in the future and you’ll need better builds to overcome them.

The game is still early access, so you don’t ask for nerfs. Nerfing is not generally fun. It’s only good when it’s necessary and what you’re asking for is not necessary or desirable.

I do realize I’m in the 1%, I don’t question that at all. I just think players with a Build Designer’s mind be taken into consideration. I found the game reasonable, and fun. And yes, I have beat every Souls game and Elden Ring, Again Those games are not quite the same as this game, I would say this game is closer to Nioh 1&2 In terms of itemization. My only goal with ‘Nerfs’ is to help prolong the grind and help the population get more play time out of the game before they ‘become board with power’, that’s all.

1 Like

I’ll be honest. I think u are a good player and u are suffering from success.

I had games that I was extremely good at and I could not find a way to make the game challenging for myself anymore.

I don’t blame pro players to be pro but I think its impossible for devs to balance the game around us pro players, without ruining a lot of builds and fun.
Because we always find something op. So we gotta balance the game for ourselves or come up with fun challenges, like beating the game as lvl one or something. That’s my opinion ofc but I don’t want nerfs that might ruin other people’s fun.

If enchantments are so strong, why do I use almost exclusively common items?

I can have four runes on my weapons, all of which scale with my primary stat.

I can hand pick four massive bonuses to my health, my stamina, armor, etc.

Common items are overpowered.

I’d probably quit. I’d rather farm coin playing the game and killing enemies than chopping down trees all day.

2 Likes

I like the style of Souls games, but not the difficulty. I found Elden Ring unplayable due to frustration after less than 2 hours.

What I’m interested in is actually what Path of Exile 2 is showcasing pre-launch. They have the impactful-feeling combat mechanics that have some slow and charged attacks, but they offer ability to dodge without charges or cooldown and you can interrupt slow attacks with dodge so you don’t feel over-committed and simply avoid using slow weapons (mostly two-handed).

I liked that this was more like Souls in the impactful feel of combat and not just all super fast spammy and without defense like most ARPGs, but I feel this game has lost much of its potential due to no basic ranged attacks or magic wands/staves.

Basically, you only have melee in a game where two-handed weapons are massively punishing and every attack is over-committed and getting hit during slow attack also likely interrupts you so you can face enemies that are so fast-attacking and aggressive that you may not even be able to land a single attack without exploiting max range charged attack hit and run tactics. Especially when you have to build for even using most weapons because the attribute requirements for weapons are ridiculously high.

I feel this is a wasted opportunity for No Rest For The Wicked because while you don’t have to copy other games, you should definitely learn from them. Using good features to prevent clunky gameplay is always good. You should be offering all of the quality of life features other games have when relevant.

Not doing so produces a sense of artificial difficulty which is no longer you versus the game environment, but instead becomes you versus the developers.

I totally understand, These are just my thoughts having ‘figured out the game’. I don’t think they will change any of these points, but I just thought I would say something because I just love the game so much already, and I’ve been craving more games like Nioh, and this fits the bill quite nicely. I guess you could call this post a gut reaction to learning how the game works.

1 Like

I have no problem with your opinion my friend. I just stated mine just like yourself. I hope devs find a solution for both of us honestly.

I just find myself missing the Op and fun builds in the old games thats why I am so against nerfs.
A recent example would be Danse Macabre in Baldur’s gate 3. They nerfed it to the point that its just unusable while people just find other Op things. And every time a new friend of mine joins the game, I tell them the tale of good old times when the skill was OP, they want to try it but it’s boring now.

There is always gonna be something OP and I think the best solution is to leave it to players to have a choice of using it or not. like blood build in Elden ring.

I’m a big Nioh fan myself and I totally see the similarities. And I share the same love for this game. I want everyone to enjoy it, both new players and pros such as yourself.

Sorry for the phonebook.

I’ve rolled like 20 plate armors and haven’t been able to get reduced weight yet

1 Like

Be mindful that you played 70 hours and optimized your gear, whereas your gear is probably trash if you could now access act/chapter 3.

Of course you’re going to be too strong if you keep maxing in the starter area, as an ARPG fan you should know this :slightly_smiling_face:

Honestly, these requests sound troll like. Not going to lie. If any of these things existed in the game I wouldn’t even be playing it. I literally mostly use common items since the enchanting is so hit or miss and plagued items can be incredibly crippling.

Enchanting is basically PoE’s Orb of Alchemy right now, very basic rng item rolls. 100% rng rolls felt bad. I’m hoping devs will massively expanding the crafting aspect of the game. Please look into Last Epoch’s crafting systems. They do very good job of balancing rng and deterministic systems.

I mean I see where this is coming from but this is also someone trapped in the first area of the game pushing mechanics to its limits. I also see replies where like “the cursed enchants are so bad” - but like, once you get to a point where you’re enchanting every single glove and helm you find (since they affect weight the least), you’re gonna roll some INCREDIBLE enchants that are well worth the curse (especially if curse is durability halved, XP/gold loss on death, or reduced XP gain).

When you have a full set of this kind of gear the crucible is relatively easy. I’m still farming for my 10% per piece overall speed set which I’m excited to finally complete… but focus / health per hit is absolutely incredible for multiple hit attacks like throw.

I think there is increasing the grind, and then making things a chore. I want to be able to go around fighting stuff, not running around 5 different realms gathering materials on rotation. There are already enough items that are very rare in the current state.

When you try to min/max and meta-game, I think it is more on the player to create more unique challenges, rather than the devs balancing around the 0.5%. Try a run without buying gear, or with avoiding certain enchants. Get creative and see what other challenges you can come up with. This is coming from a long-time souls-like and hardcore mode player of games.

At least through Early Access, I rather see them keep the majority happy, and then add in more challenges for the outliers.

1. RNG is bad enough, why make it worse? Just don’t. I am on my 4th character and rolling gears before crucible makes you dirt poor. Also gear crafting/buying is enough of a gold sync.

2,4 You are not thinking of all weapons, sure this could be fine for 2H, but this would ruin fast weapons like daggers/double daggers. Maybe instead of nerfing the stat, just increase the stamina cost of 2H. But I still think it’s fine the way it is.

1. In 4 chars I never once found it useful. So idk, maybe it’s niche?

2. I can buy 20 (give or take) chest pieces from vendor per echo run. And usually don’t get anything useful form enchant. Yes all you need is money and for money all you need is time. I personally find it in a good spot for the game to evolve with the next content release.

3. Maybe as more content is released, but right now silver ore you can only find in 2 spots. So without npc selling, it would be very frustrating. Most of the materials I gather, I find it fun.

This is just flat out wrong. I have 4 toons.
2H axe - basically dodge and 1 tap almost everything plays like a real souls toon.

1h dagger and bow - used dagger to gen focus for bow, back when bow used focus - it was fine even then as i used to get around 7-8 shots in

Staff - perma focus, perma blink zoom zoom

And currently a Sword/shield reflect build, only level 15 or so. I find it extremely fun

I honestly don’t get how people complain about build diversity. And I still have more ideas, perma WW build, perma chain lightning

Absolutely agree regarding bullet 2-4 (% on dmg dealt), since perma focus is way too strong. Last comment talks about build freedom and perma(focus) builds. This is exactly what would kill the game for me.