D&D Feat Style System To Replace the Current Ichor Inventory Expansion System

i kinda like the idea of independent progressions. it just shouldn’t feel like a 10th season slap-on.

Let’s see what moon studios will make of it. I upvoted it (button is next to the title up top :wink: )

1 Like

Now this one is interesting. It may be too much but if we were given the choice for a Feat after every boss that is themed after them, that would be pretty dang cool. It’s almost as if you’ve claimed their power or learned from them.

Edit: I thought I quoted only Mark of The Echo Knight but it seems like it quoted all of it. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

that’s a very nice idea

I definitely read this as “Mark the Echo Knight”.

Their name is now officially Mark.

I am worried about choice paralysis though :sweat_smile:

We can gleam from the crucible layout that there will be 6 total/more?

So if we add 3 options each we already have 18-21 options. If we then add options for the regular bosses :rofl:

But 1 option for each boss might seem a bit underwhelming.

This was the base idea. Like you have a sense of progression and something to look forward to. I tried to make the feats based upon his abilities.

I very much agree that the current classless system rather than give us freedom, just feels flavorless.
I like your idea, I think a way to allow for customizable freedom in terms of builds would be to integrate a system like that.
I think that we should simply get full inventory slots unlocked, except maybe the actual equipable gear and instead give us a kind of feats tree that uses ichors to unlock them.
Im very much 100% behind you on this one, I understand their argument about pushing people towards a direction, but honestly that’s what makes RPG’s fun too. It’s not fun when there’s very little to no options and things are totally telegraphed like in Diablo 4. However, if you give us enough options and you make those options quite flexible/adaptable THEN you’ve got something cooking.

1 Like

I quite like this idea. You touched on something specific I don’t enjoy with the game currently which is how Ichor is used. It made very little sense to me why Ichor should be expanding my inventory instead of my characters abilities. This feat system suggestion would make Ichor feel like the resource it is supposed to represent.

As for inventory space, I see no reason why this wasn’t just solved with a backpack item that you continually upgrade as you get better and rarer materials. Why Ichor has anything to do with this, I have no idea. It’s the one big design decision I just do not understand from the studio.

As an avid player of D&D 5e, I agree that feats are an excellent way to introduce new customization that is still classless, remaining within the themes the devs had in mind.

I think my only concern is; is Ichor limited? Can we only obtain a certain amount? You touched on this a little bit, but yeah I definitely think you shouldn’t be able to unlock all of them, otherwise you basically turn what is a customizing system into a checklist of things you will eventually get regardless, defeating the purpose of the system in my mind.

3 Likes

I am with you on limiting the amount of ‘‘Feats’’.

I think two things are important:

1. Players need to be making a trade-off.

2. Players need to be looking forward to something.

You could add like 4 tiers of ichors, and allow like:

• 4 - T1 Feats

• 3 - T2 Feats

• 2 - T1 Feats

• 1 - T4 Feat

Your T4 Ichor feat could be like a ‘‘Keystone’’ something you build towards and try to have as main focus for your build. Whilst lower tiers are more general maybe?

1 Like

How about:

A feat that shows a graphic representation of your enemy’s lowest resistance on mouse-over.

A feat that reduces the speed penalty of stealth.

A feat that greatly buffs backstab attacks.

The first one might be a bit much Meta and then useless when people will just post it on the internet.

The bottom two could be combine into 1 Feat like:

Cloak and Dagger

• Speed movement penalty halved.

• Backstabs generate X% focus.

• If a backstab executes an enemy gain a X% damage buff that lasts for Y amount of time.

Not sure if these should be restricted to weapon/gear etc. Since that would limited playstyles to weapons.

The more I’ve ruminated on this idea, the more I’ve been wanting it. Thomas confirmed they’re changing attributes due to feedback but who knows what this will or won’t accomplish.

Anyways, I’ve realized passive effects on us are the last detail to accomplish our fantasies. Runes and weapons help but they’re more active uses. The Feat system is entirely passive which helps fulfill the fantasy even if swapping weapons so you have that constant.

2 Likes

I hope nothing major, I quite like the simple design. It put’s more focus on the affixes. Which they said the following about:

I have my reservations about changing attributes when we haven’t seen all affixes. I’m both curious and little bit worried since I didn’t like idea of adding more weight to affixes.

The weapons and runes are like your core of the build, they influence the way you play. And then you add the affixes to further aid this. Feats being passives would achieve a similar effect. But, on top of that you also have something to look forward to. Like with classic skill trees, since most of the time we look what we get at the end and build towards it. With the feats we can see the different ones and imagine synergies.

I still believe the attribute discussion could have been improved if Moon went and touched on the weird weapon requirements, either by outright changing them or changing the weapon to suit the requirements (i.e. Icebreaker).

1 Like

Judging from most of your posts you’re a pretty smart guy, so I’m going to do the nerdy thing and explain my reasoning behind this idea.

Bear in mind: What keeps games going in the long run is team PvP. League of Legends has players whose parents met online playing League of Legends. Counter-strike is a series of re-releases of a game that remains essentially unchanged since its first release in the actual previous millennium.

As for the specific feat I suggested - you fear it would be “META” at first and then quickly become useless. But that doesn’t really make sense. The kind of players who would look up cookie-cutter builds online are also the kind of people who would look up this info online in the first place, not waste a feat on it.
It would be a power boost for more casual players by narrowing the knowledge gap., or it could be a convenience pick for more advanced players, willing to trade some power for this convenience.
Where it would shine though is in team PvP (or in endgame content with randomized enemies), because there it would give you intel that can’t just be looked up. It would also promote build diversity - intel is useful, but knowing something twice (as a team) is not better than knowing it once - and it rewards having different characters with different damage types in your team, because with this intel, you can better choose which of your teammates to send against which opponents.

I’m not 100% sure this idea would work out, but I think there’s solid reasoning behind it, so I just wanted to share that with you :wink:

1 Like

Just want to point out that this is applicable to live service games which this is not. When 1.0 releases, if people begin to trickle off the game, that’s normal. Even Elden Ring dropped off by about 60-70% three months after release. It’s the natural way for standalone games.

I made an entire topic including a test on weapon visuals due to icebreaker. That weapon looks like a classic two hander for a knight, and then it scales with int, description makes it seem like a magical weapon as well. They should really split that weapon in 2. It genuinely triggered me.

Here is the topic, also has some other weapons:

A Test to see if Weapon Visuals and their Stat Scaling match your expectations

Thanks for the kind words!

So, I’d argue that in a static environment It’d be meta for like a first playthrough for a more veteran player. The next playthrough, or on the next respec you’d dump it, because it served it’s purpose. Again, assuming a static environment.

Now in a dynamic environment it’d make more sense. You gain more information, and information is your greatest weapon. It’s also how in certain games most convenience bonuses become meta.

What is below here is contingent on damage numbers being shown.

If it is just elemental damage, you can infer that on the first few hits. Because at some point you understand where your damage range lies; even accounting armor values. If it’s significantly lower you can safely assume they have a resistance. Now I’m not sure if they are gonna add slashing/crushing/piercing damage and resistances. But then I can see this a lot more. You’d even create a meta where you’d have various weapons on you which deal different types of damage. Or if they limit that you’d have a more varied team with a slashing/piercing/crushing user.

I will say that with that feat you can make an initial assessment and then sent whoever to whoever. Enemy can do the same though.

But, then there is another much bigger factor. What build counters what build. You get the weapon type matchups, which then also further depends on what level of equip load people have. This is what I think will be the biggest factor in PvP. Similar to how it worked in for honor. Certain weapon movesets, rune specials combo’s etc will be the driving force. I see elemental damage as an addition. Where players will want to get an even resistance across the board to minimize risk, unless there is one element signigicantly better. Lot’s of contingencies.

In conclusion with regards to PvP.

In the current iteration you can infer information quick enough on the first few hits and adjust accordingly if necessary; assuming PvP existed now. Now if they were to expand on damage types and resistances, limit the weapons you can carry to one, then I can see a meta in Team PvP where one dude takes it. However, I do believe the use is too niche. And it will depend more on weapon type meta.

If damage numbers are hidden, it would be additional information since you wouldn’t be able to infer it from hitting an enemy. Here is where I can see more value.

Also, thank you for sharing your reasoning with me. I hope I was able to convey my perspective adequately.

Edit: spelling

A valid point that I failed to take into account. Still, perhaps it will inspire others to come up with more useful ideas for intel abilities or, in general, abilities that you’d like to have exactly one of in a team.

1 Like

Added 5 new ideas at the bottom of the OP.

Feats I’d like to see:

When you would take fire damage, prevent 10% of that damage, then gain 1 focus for each 3 damage prevented this way.

and/or:

When you would take fire damage, prevent 10% of that damage, then for each 1 damage prevented this way, your next melee attack deals 1 bonus fire damage.

Since the game has friendly fire, you might pick these feats if you plan on setting fire to the battlefield a lot, so you’d be less afraid of burning yourself/might even get a net benefit out of it.
It might also be good when teaming up with a fire mage and, of course, just to be stronger against enemies who deal fire damage.

It’s not really about the examples though. In general, I’d like to see feats that inspire tinkering, that might interact/synergize with other build choices.

1 Like