The Housing - pointless and merciless contest

I want to share my experience as I tried a paid playtest called “Furnish house contest”, to tell you what I think about a completely rudimentary housing and why why you could not put together anything sane by the deadline

I bypassed furnishing a house because of the complete lack of sense in this activity, at the moment the house is needed for the following mutually exclusive options:
A) Installing machines for crafting that will completely take up all the space (pointless, given the convenient and free machines in the shops of traders, but if you still want to put machines at home - you will not have room for chests and decor).
B) Turn your house into a warehouse for loot (the only meaningful option of the three, because in this game there is absolutely nothing to do except collect all the weapons to get 10 twinks and test why the mage two-handed sword requiring 42 intelligence, spoiler - there is no reason, these chests will take up your entire house, and even a few. Absolutely all cabinets lose to chests because of the limitation on the type of stored items, and among the chests you need only one - the largest).
C) Decor, absolutely unnecessary and unworkable, but more on that later.

Having seen in the network that the developers announced a competition on the decoration of houses, emphasizing on the appearance I wondered “how the hell do they imagine it?” because all you can get in the most pumped shop carpenter and Danos is the same cabinets and tables in poor and rich style, church candlesticks and things that are absolutely inappropriate for the house, anvil, furnace, brazier, etc…, and in over 130 hours, with characters from 4 realms, I’ve only gotten about 3 recipes for housing. This and the persistent interest of the CEO of the company in Twitter to such an unnecessary in this game mechanics made me realize that the developers just want to test how working this homunculus came out and how people would like such activity in the game, then we should treat it as a playtest (for your money, lol). And here is my summary of this playtest:

-Convenience - there is none. Despite the fact that most if not all of the interior objects are props that you see on the levels you will not be able to stack a lumber stacks one on top of another like the developers did in the carpenter’s shop, nor will you be able to hang anything on the wall like the lute in Rookery Lodgings, of course, because the developers themselves do not use the crooked toolkit that provided to the player. Oh, that toolkit… I can only imagine how many butts burned from trying to put two chests in a line parallel to the wall, or put a candle at the door without leaving the house 10 times in a row. If you put the prop crookedly, you will, after you pick it up the game will decide that you probably want to use OIL, because the quick access menu designed by Satan himself, do not even try to use quick access menu for using the furniture, there it gets absolutely randomly mixed with a hundred of other items. In addition, you won’t be able to put the cabinet up against the wall to half of the all walls in the proposed houses, if you put something on the carpet, you will have to remove the carpet first, and then all standing on it, because there is no object selection. You can not to put something under the stairs, in general you can not do half of the things that seem to you as simple as possible, for example, put the bed to the wall on either side, because it can be used only from one side, and here we smoothly move to the point “Practicality”.
-Practicality - there is none. Half of the objects are non-interactive even if it’s a simple bench, you can only sit on chairs or armchairs (but not all of them), everything else simply has no use, there are no trophies (although the description of the pedestal hints that there should be), you can’t hang a shield over a chest with shields, sword over the chest with swords to somehow distinguish between them (and I remind you, you need a lot of chests), the only useful object that is not a chest is a bed, but it started to work only with the last patch, and not completely, a large bed gives only one of the promised two buffs.
-Aesthetics - in theory possible, but not now, you can not change the wall facing, and next door to your home will be either a cemetery, or prisoners, or you can not find your way to your house because the only ladder leading to it is hidden behind the support of the elevator leading to Rookery Lodgings. There are items in the game that might help to make your home more comfortable, but you’ll never get them and here’s why.
-Availability- and here begins the worst, the chance of dropping in the game world of a recipe for fittings from a monster or chest is practically zero, the only “working” method of obtaining these recipes is incredibly elaborate and entertaining daily quests and a merchant of random goods Grinnich, and both as it is not difficult to guess are extremely random and available to you only once a day, and I will remind, I got only about 3 recipes of accessories that are not in the stores for 130+ hours from four realms in LEGAL way , obviously you can not physically have ALL or at least most of the items in the second week of EA, but I wanted to squeeze everything out of the game-designer idea of the developers, for this I had to resort to tricks with the date change in the settings of Windows to reset the quaests and goods in the store, and then the Hell has began. … Of course, you can not switch realm without going to the main menu, of course you can not find out in which realm you are now, of course the names of the worlds in the list are always mixed up, of course there are absolutely no pictograms to distinguish them, of course you can not see the reward for the quest, whether it is a recipe for weapons or furniture you will not know until you pass the quest (funny, but the reward for the contest is also as abstract as possible, the work of one author? ), Of course, you will constantly receive already available recipes or there will no recepts at all. As a result, after 2037 in my calendar game just stopped running and I could not collect all the available recipes, although I wanted just a normal carpet that will not look like a floor cloth. All this useless junk in addition are requires a lot of resources, the result of a whole day killed on the grind by abusing bugs and picking in a crooked toolkit I attach to the message, as well as a list of recipes available to me, I’m sure you have not seen even a half, do not ask why I have 4 identical recipes, I do not know. Still love the game, but now I am exosted and frustrated as hell.

1 Like

1 Like

While I’m not quite as violently upset at housing as you seem to be, I’ll definitely agree that there’s a lot of places this system can go as we progress towards 1.0.

I’ve seen devs on twitter say that the goal is to have most of the housing items be interactive in some way, but the trick is to make it interactive in a way that’s worth it, as opposed to having everything be available in town.

Beyond that, I’d love to see other ways we can fill the homes with life beyond just more items or real life players. Maybe NPCs can come in, maybe we can sell houses to some NPCs and have them take over control and decorate themselves. Maybe we can run secret businesses out of our homes. Maybe we can hire a bard or a steward.

2 Likes

maybe this is the first town we are in … maybe the game will open up to bigger towns with bigger houses or estates?

2 Likes

Definitely, devs already said there will be much more houses and probably towns, but also they thought that we will already enjoy it, but the thuth is - its cropped, unawailable, pointless and does not deserve much attention in current state.

Come on man this ain’t the Sims, it’s not perfect but I think it’s fine so far. Critique is important but you seem a bit overly heated, though honestly it’s hard to understand half of what you’ve typed.

1 Like

I dont see his post as violently upset or heated…
He is frustrated,said so himself.

Its just a long thought out post is all detailing his points.

Stop trying to shift it onto him as angry and detracting his validity if he has valid points of feedback.
Cmon guys.

1 Like

I like housing and how I can make my house my own. Now, we obviously don’t have all furnishments etc. But, It gives us an idea of what is to come. And currently there isn’t enough.

For the crafting stations, I think it is a bit much if you want to add all into your house and then decorate it. You can buy a house and treat it like a workshop/warehouse. Or when multiplayer launches have each friend focus on 1/2 crafting options.

Maybe a wifey to come home to :joy:

Also.

That’s a bit much.

1 Like

Optional content to sink time into not the focus of the game, a nice addition to an awsome game, you can spam the space with storage like me or decor it to your hearts content…it doesnt suppose to have any other function.

1 Like

He is frustrated → yes!
And that often leads to heat and/or maybe uncontrolled behavior :wink:
We all know what its like.

But yeah, i am feeling the passion here and he wrote a lot.
Maybe the housing contest was a bit to early.

Btw. this picture is your homespace? Pretty awsome looking. Not good enough?

Yeah we all get angry and heated time to time, me too for sure… but I did alao get annoyed at two of the responses shifting to implying feelings over facts and writing him off.

He had genuine critiques yet people just call him an angry gamer.
Not cool.

1 Like

I enjoy my little cottage. Got loooads of storage and all the crafting tools. And also have room for my bed and a dinner table and chairs.