Runes or Consumables (like food) need a cooldown!

Hello,

As it is right now, you can infinitely spam your Rune skills as long as you consume Focus potions.

I feel like it’s an abuse of mechanics and gives zero incentive to do any other tactics.

Drink → spam rune → drink again → spam rune.

Rinse and repeat.

Either introduce a cooldown for attack damage type runes, or a separate cooldown for each type of consumable, i.e. if you use a focus potion ->cooldown, but still you’re able to drink a stamina potion (which would go on a separate CD after use).

Thoughts?

Cheers!

10 Likes

Did you play Elden Ring? You can spam any magic or special skills as long as you have focus points. You can restore them with the Flask of Cerulean Tears (or other consumables) and continue spamming the abilities.

Additionally, while you consume FP potions, you are open to attack or waste attack possibility.

So is it really the problem that this game has the same mechanic?

Yes, it is a problem. This is no Elden Ring.

2 Likes

It’s not Eldern Ring nor the game tries to mimic it

1 Like

That’s actually a really good idea I hadn’t considered. Rune cooldowns, this could solve a lot of issues, and incentivize the use of other runes. So you start rotating between runes.

3 Likes

The game indeed does not “mimic” some stuff from souls games :slight_smile:
My point was that the skill spam is not an issue, some encounters can be designed in a such way that you can’t spam weapon skills. In the open world you can do whatever you want, just have fun.

Well at the moment the skill spamming is making the game too easy. And something the devs did not intend to happen.

This game was supposed to have “visceral precision combat”.

Even normal mobs should provide tactical challenge in a game like this.

1 Like

Mobs may provide some tactical challenge at the beginning, but once you upgrade your weapon, all of them become an insignificant obstacle that does not represent any challenge.

I’m sure that will change when they balance the game. Mobs are meant to provide a challenge.

Knowing the souls-like games, it won’t happen, once player reaches specific level of upgrades, open world enemies do not provide any challenge.

If you balance everything to be constantly hard, with dynamic scaling and etc. You will ruin the fun for many people.

1 Like

We can agree to disagree here.

1 Like

It’s not such a big problem in Elden Ring where the Flask of Cerulean Tears has a limit on number of uses that is locked behind progression. At most I think a Flask can be used 14 times when fully upgraded (and completely allocated to Cerulean Tears).

This game’s Focus Potions can be farmed, so it’s arguably more abusable.

What would be fun is some sort of Rune Weaving as a combat style with Rune Cooldowns.

Where you start with Rune 1 and then cycle through the others or create combo’s between them.

Also bosses should have some counter to being stunlocked like some increased resistance for X amount of time after being staggered. To prevent skill spamming too much.

Well to be fair elden ring has a limited amount of potions per battle.
I think it would be consequential if food has a cooldown that other consumables have it too
Not attacks tho

Potions cooldown can help, but don’t forget about the builds that have huge FP regeneration :wink:

Well that’s what builds are there for. If you are going to dictate every single move in succession you can as well just remove affixes and build making from the game. But it’s not just a souls like it’s an arpg as well.

Hard pass, you clearly have never played a souls game. I don’t want to create a mage that has a CD on their spells and have to be melee.

1 Like

You are missing the point. I’m not vouching for cooldowns exactly. But rather for something to be done to the balance. Game becomes too easy fast.

I’m sure souls crowd would appreciate tactical combat instead of button smashing. Or is Elden Ring the only souls game you’ve played?

1 Like

I’ve played every souls game. Demon souls, bloodborn, seikeiro etc. weapon arts (if the specific titled game had them) and spells have always been spammable if you had the resource and mages could easily one shot with soul arrow and maxed out staves. Mages are still squishy and are easily picked off with enemies that have gap closers. The reason we feel OP is because this an early access with mobs at 21 and characters at 30. Not to mention not everyone probably feels it’s too easy. Most casual gamers probably have not gotten through the crucible let alone defeated echo knight.

In another thread you commented that the point of these games is to become OP. And I do not share that sentiment.

I wish this game kept providing challenge in the later stages aswell.

1 Like