More Dual Wield Options

Let me start by saying I love this game and I can’t wait to see what Moon Studios cooks up.

Now I think one of the flaws of this game is the fact that there is only 1 dual weild option- double daggers. Many games do this and I hope Wicked can do more.

I’d love to see more dual weapons- double axes, double swords, and my personal favorite, Short Sword and Dagger.

I think there is room for each type to be unique- Double axes could be an aggressive heavy hitting attack pattern. Double swords more fluid and measured attacks. Finally sword and dagger could be more of a parry style/charged attack style. Normal attacks would be sword strikes, but after a parry a quick double strike from the dagger, and charged attacks could be a sword strike, followed by quick dagger strikes. (I understand the two different weapons is harder to do from a dev side, but honestly I think it would add so much to the game)

5 Likes

I would like the dual wield removed personally and have it main hand and off hand, you can use one handed weapons in ether slot. If you want to dual wield, use the off hand slot. It only for bows and shields right now. So mix and match weapons, like 1 sword and dager, or 1 axe and sword, ect…

3 Likes

Would love for them to give you more opportunities to mix and match, sorta like how AC Valhalla did with the main and offhand weapon system. You could dual wield shields for example.

They’d just have ti balance it, because currently pressing the left bumper either readies a shield or opens rune slots. So for it to work, each weapon equipped in the offhand slot would only be able to have one function similar to raising a shield. Like one unique offhand attack or something

2 Likes

Sadly that’d be a complete combat overhaul since every button is used already and there’s only 1 attack button.

I agree with this premise. There needs to be dual be dual wield options beyond just dexterity. A strength based weapon dual wield or any of the other types would be awesome.

Mechanics and use of attack can be similar to the daggers, but with axes, swords, maces, etc.

Personally I want dual wield axes

The 1 attack button could be used for attacking with both weapons. It’d be a boatload of work to create animations for every combination possible, but doing so would open build diversity so incredibly much.

Alternatively, if they want to get fancy with it, they could make it so Attack keeps being just main hand attack, then dual wielders sacrifice Parry for 2 weapon attacks. That way you can still access all runes in both weapons and have a cost for the presumed increase of power by sacrificing the protection adn dmg of parrying

For your first idea you do realize that means every single weapon needs a unique animation with every other weapon? So the katana needs a unique animation with every other sword, every other hammer, etc. Unless you’re proposing that the attack looks abnormal with no flow and they can clip into each other.

Getting rid of the parry is a valid idea actually though and has merit. Then each weapon only needs double the manual work.

As long as they can implement it whilst further building upon current systems, I too, would quite like to see more dual wield options.

Personally, I’d like to see dual wield 1h swords so I can make my character from Titan Quest.

Well what I was suggesting would be animations for types of weapons, not literally every weapon. For instance there is no need for Coiled Dawn, Tortured Blade and Honed Frenzy to each have an unique set of animations for every other 1h weapon of the game, they’d go down as “katana.”

There are 8 one handed weapon types in the game. For dual wielding, some of them could be converted in the same moveset: Maces + Hammers + Axes, Curved Swords + Katanas + Straight Swords + Rapiers.

That leaves us with 3 main groups of weapon animations needed: the Sword group, the “Impact” group and the knives.

So we’d need in total 9 new animation sets to have animation for every possible Dual Wield combo in the game. Even better, the set for one of the pairings, “Knife + Knife” is already in the game.

This is the way dual wielding works in DS3 and Elden Ring. And yes, a few bigger more rule of cool weapons do eventually kinda clip into each other, but nobody really cares about it, the animations make sense with themselves