Let's Talk About Inventory Management

Let me preface this by saying I have played over 40 hours of Wicked and I’m absolutely in love with the genre-mash game. It has a little bit of every element I love from other great titles, which all comes together to create an incredibly immersive experience.

But if there is one glaring flaw with Wicked, it is quality of life. And it’s quite obvious the devs are aware of this. Running back and forth constantly between chests and vendors, having so many kinds of loot types that organizing becomes a little nightmarish.

As someone who has played other great titles like Monster Hunter World, BotW/TotK, Diablo, Elden Ring, and even several MMOs, I think I have a few suggestions for the dev team that could keep to their vision of the game while improving the player experience.

How would you improve storage?

• Materials are no longer stored in normal chests.
  • A new type of storage has been added to every house by default; the material crate. All materials you gather can be easily deposited here up to a maximum of 50 of each type. Using ichor, you can upgrade your material storage capacity. (50 100 150 200)
  • All crafting stations and vendors will pull from the materials in this chest when interacting with them.

Why these changes?
First and foremost; quality of life. Secondly, these are systems I’ve seen used in other games that are widely accepted as good storage systems. Thirdly, it keeps to the game’s original vision; you still need to trek to your house to deposit the materials and you still need to gather ichor to upgrade the capacity of that storage. We already have different storage types so this isn’t anything new or groundbreaking.

These are my thought’s on the inventory situation as is. What are your thoughts? I’d love to discuss this further.

7 Likes

Here are some of my thoughts on this matter.

Chests
I like the idea of having chests and storing whatever in them. It gives me a lot of freedom in it’s use.

New Storage Types
I do agree with a new storage type. But I would implement it differently. Rather than having a general material crate I would sort them into different types based on crafting or the housing items Maker Danos sells.

For instance, you can store ore’s at the furnace, this way your stash and crafting is in the same place for convenience. You could also store food produce at the stove.

There would then probably still be some materials that don’t fall in a category though :thinking:

Upgrades
I really like the idea of upgrading, but would apply it with the housing items from Maker Danos.

Small lore spoiler: the Ichor seems related to the Cerim so therefore, I wouldnt use it as an upgrade component for storage.

I would use regular materials for upgrades. Maybe not the same resources as the merchants require though. But I would like for there to be visual changes to the stove, furnace etc. It shows that you are investing into something and making progress on your house.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback, @RomoloHero ! :slightly_smiling_face:

Chests
I like the idea of having chests and storing whatever in them. It gives me a lot of freedom in it’s use.

Yeah I was mostly thinking of; if you store all your materials in the material crate, and all of your consumables in the consumable cupboard, then everything else just fits into the chest like equipment and other miscellaneous items. I agree, the freedom is important.

For instance, you can store ore’s at the furnace, this way your stash and crafting is in the same place for convenience. You could also store food produce at the stove.

The only thing I dislike about this is now you have to make multiple stops to deposit your resources at each workshop instead of just dropping them in a crate that all workshops can access. In general, I’m aiming for convenience overall with this suggestion.

Upgrades
I really like the idea of upgrading, but would apply it with the housing items from Maker Danos.

I generally agree; I dislike the design decision that ichor is used to increase inventory size instead of it just being part of the crafting. I’d much rather just have us craft bigger and bigger backpacks and leave ichor for unlocking things that feel cool to unlock, like equipment slots.

But as the game works now, this was my best suggestion to make it easy to implement.

Diablo has/had much worse inventory mngt. I really think people are complaing to much over it. Or we could just make it like PoE and sell tabs of space.

It’s not about whether other games are worse; it’s about how we can improve what already exists. Currently, the constant trekking back and forth between Rookery, House and Vendors is not enjoyable, at least not for me, and not for many others.

Inventory management is the second most voted upon issue players have with this game.

2 Likes

I have every slot opened up, and i dont see an issue really, you have to make a few choices, but usually after i run a loop of kill/chest i am barely full.

Where i find the biggerissue is mangement of chest in the house.

Aslo ppl always say what they want, but never just realize that sometime the QoL stuff in games also detracts from the publishers plan, but playeds keep complaining. The largest issue with modern games, is to many publishers giving in to players request / demands.

Yes, management of the inventory regarding your house is what I am talking about currently, so we’re talking about the same thing. The goal of the suggestions above is to make home management easier after filling up your entirely ichor upgraded inventory.

Yes, there always has to be a fine line between reasonable requests and deliberately moving away from the devs original plan, I agree. I do not think this suggestion is outside the boundary set here.

@Ellybean

I think we are both coming from different perspectives, and the best solution is probably a combination of the two.

Like you have a general storage area that will automatically sort your deposited gear, resources and materials to the designated storage unit. It would then just be a storage area, it makes unloading stuff easier but still sorts stuff thematically.

100% agree with this. I think having backpacks that get bigger with each tier would be a really cool addition. And then saving the Ichor for some Cerim exclusive skill tree with other cool things.

1 Like

Yeah, honestly I’d be fine with either solution. Yours does sound more immersive, I’ll give it that!

100% agree with this. I think having backpacks that get bigger with each tier would be a really cool addition. And then saving the Ichor for some Cerim exclusive skill tree with other cool things.

Now there’s a fun idea I haven’t heard of… a Cerim talent tree could be interesting! But on the topics of backpacks and crafting; yes! It’s kind of crazy to me they developed this awesome crafting system and didn’t use it as the catalyst for inventory space upgrades.

1 Like

I agree. I think early game the inventory could use some tweaks, but once you get a house its not bad at all.

I think a simple tweak, like allowing stacks of 100 in chests, would clear up most issues people have.

1 Like

The problem is multifaceted, though. Just adding higher stacks won’t fix the fact that people dislike running back and forth all the time for materials at the Rookery/House, or how hard it can be to organize all of those items. Thankfully they’re adding the feature for vendors/crafting stations to pull from your chests, so it’s something at least.

I think it’s a really good suggestion. As you said, it keeps true to the original vision while making an actual improvement.

Honestly I don’t mind the game as it is, I’m taking it with a “minecraft” kind of mindset: categorize chests based on what you put inside, and place them all in a single place (in this case, the house). I stopped using the rookery stash because of this, since now I have no use for it.
And walking back and forward is… really not that much of an issue? I’ve bought the manor so it’s not exactly near the various vendors but we’re still talking of about 10/15 second of walking? Maybe 20? Which is basically nothing.

As for refining resources/crafting, I believe that if materials were available at every crafting station at any moment the point of buying all the crafting stations to put them in your house would be gone. I can just use the ones near the vendors. If the developers implemented this change they also should think about this issue, and maybe find a way to incentivize the use of crafting stations inside your house.

1 Like

Thanks for taking the time to reply, Jack! :smile:

This is what I did, too, after I bought a home. Grabbed all the crap clogging up my Rookery (which is now my shared account wide stash for all my alts), and organized all of my workstations to have relevant chests next to them to organize/store all relevant materials.

Like you said, it’s not particularly terrible or difficult, but after a while it does get a bit tedious for me personally. I’ve gotten bodied by bosses and enemies over and over, and yet still the most frustrating experience for me happens as follows;

I need to go to the vendor for upgrades, but I don’t know what materials I need for said upgrades. So I trek all the way down from my manor to the vendor, make a mental note of all the things I need, go back to my manor, grab the materials, run BACK AGAIN to the vendor, and finally do the thing I wanted to do. HEAVEN FORBID I forget anything :sob:

My point? This whole process could be much simpler while still encouraging players to move through the city for various NPCs and vendors.

You raise a very interesting point about the change potentially making vendor crafting stations more convenient than your home crafting stations. I’m not entirely sure it’d be too big of an issue. You’d still want to go back to your home to deposit loot, and from there you would just use whatever station happens to be closest whenever you’re in the city; more convenience.

But perhaps there is something I’m missing here? :thinking:

2 Likes

Beautifully stated, love the idea. I suggested in an alternate post to have a single storage in your house (similar to the community chest), where you can unlock tabs via quests or materials or currency or all of the above. Having a separate stash for only consumables or crafting mats is also cool, or it could be a special tab that’s unlocked in Sacrament shortly after arriving.

Housing is basically a storage shed with wall to wall storage boxes, having one or two would be a massive improvement.

1 Like

Definitely hasn’t happened to me :roll_eyes:

I also feel like my house could be featured on an episode of hoarders with all the boxes, crates and chests :joy:

1 Like

I need to go to the vendor for upgrades, but I don’t know what materials I need for said upgrades. So I trek all the way down from my manor to the vendor, make a mental note of all the things I need, go back to my manor, grab the materials, run BACK AGAIN to the vendor, and finally do the thing I wanted to do. HEAVEN FORBID I forget anything

I think this actually sums up the issue. I too sometimes felt annoyed because of this, even if I give little weight to it.
I just thought of something that maybe could be useful to avoid this problem: “saving” the upgrade/crafting you’re trying to make. Like, mark the upgrade as a “to-do” thing and then it appears in your quest log, with all the materials and money cost listed. You can view the list while opening a chest so you can always get the right materials.

You’d still want to go back to your home to deposit loot, and from there you would just use whatever station happens to be closest whenever you’re in the city; more convenience.
But perhaps there is something I’m missing here?

The thing is, would it be really more convenient to do it in your home? You still need to talk to the vendors for upgrades, selling etc and they all have the same facilities you could place in your home, right there, free of charge unlike the ones you need to buy to put in your home.
I’m not sure about it, I feel like I wouldn’t find it more convenient to have everything in my home like it is now.
Maybe they could add a reason to use those over the ones in the market? Shorter processing times, less resources required for crafting… Something like that.

Still, I wouldn’t mind seeing your suggestion implemented by the developers. It would make things much faster than they are now.

1 Like

The issue with a talent tree is that it negates the rune system. I think a bump in stats would make more sense. I also find it interesting that there is a separate carry weight stat that allows for heavier gear. I think I like it? But regardless I think that using ichor for inventory space is a really poor concept.

As for storage, I like your concepts and agree, mostly and any difference is minor.

• Connect all of your storage so that when in town you can stop wearing a deep rut between the market and your storage locations (I am considering buying another house so I can have a living space and a workshop. Connecting storage makes this much more appealing because I would buy a third house and use it just for storage)
  • Make the storage intelligent instead of a mass jumble where I create my own system and try to memorize what is where. Like there is potion storage have an arms and armor storage, have a food only pantry, have a alchemical storage unit, etc. with as much and as different loot as we are receiving this would really help
  • Backpacks and pouches as loot from elites up. Add it to their loot tables so we have to farm these mobs to get more carry capacity.
  • Change the ichor system so the reward feels meaningful. As it is now it feels like a micro-transaction that I earned in game instead of buying at a shop. Icky. No. Please change this.
1 Like

But a higher stack is a better way to save the player’s living space, so I think that in addition to allowing the vendor and the crafting table to use the items in the storage box directly, a higher stack is necessary to give some players an incentive to continue playing The stack limit should be changed to (20→999) :smiley: