Feedback after 10 hours

I love the Ori games. They’re some of the best metroidvanias I’ve ever played. I bought this game the second I learned about it, and have no regrets. This post is just my two cents after 10 hours of gameplay.

That I’m putting more words in this post toward criticism is not at all to say I dislike this game. It’s just in EA so my feedback is focused around things I’d like to see changed. The art is amazing, the gameplay is fun, the music is tonally wonderful. Even if this game wasn’t in EA, I would be thoroughly enjoying and praising it. I’ve recommended it to every one of my friends who likes this sort of game.

• The only two weapons I found for the first several hours of the game were a staff and a claymore. I hate caster and two-handed gameplay in these sorts of games. I thought that I must have missed something, because usually you start out with a sword-and-board or something, but no amount of back-tracking or searching resulted in different weapons. Finally, I found some daggers, which are much more my style. Having several weapons to choose from right off the bat would have made my introduction to the game much more enjoyable. (I’ve got a spear, now, and I love it.)

• I saved up tons of money to buy a house, and was disappointed to find that it didn’t really add anything to the game except storage space. Storage space which I desperately needed, because of the limited inventory space. This game is like so many others in which limited inventory space seems to be nothing more than an excuse to have collectibles that increase inventory space. It is never interesting to choose what loot to leave behind. It was not enjoyable to grind out tons of money just to get a stash. Please, please rethink the inventory.

• I’m only 10 hours in, so maybe this exists later in the game, or maybe I’ve just missed it, but please provide some way to respec. And please don’t make it exorbitantly expensive. One of the things I love most about games like this is trying out different builds, using all the different equipment I find, etc. The first unique I found doesn’t match my build, which was a pretty big letdown. I’m excited to find one that I can use, but it would have been nice to be able to switch things up to give it a try.

• I’m fine with the controls, but I need to add my voice to the chorus of people requesting custom controls. It’s not just preference; some people need to adjust controls in order to play the game at all.

That’s really it. You all are crushing it!

2 Likes

The blacksmith you met at the beginning have some basic weapon types for sell. I agree that they should let us choose a weapon type at the beach to start out instead of a random weapon.

1 Like

While a bit tedious at first, doing this will make inventory stuff a lot easier.

Start a Realm 2, speedrun to first boss then to city then to rockery and unlock inventory space/weapon slots etc…

How many times you want to do so is up to you, I did them all, a bit tedious but you can pick and choose what you want if doing limited runs.
Material storage on your person getting expanded a few times is great for farming materials in the world, also takes some annoyance out of the storage concerns.

Realm 2 keeps your stats, and what you have on your person.
With new realms, the guy you talk to first from the beach “I should have never taken you on board” guy,…, just a little further there is a dude on that wood bridge dead with a weapon, you can cheese new realms and find new weapons that way… Claymore, Daggers, Staff’s etc…
Put it on your person… and go back to Realm 1

I’ve had it bug out on me ONCE in 40 hours where my Realm 1 lost all weapon attachment items and runes… so I now backup my savegames before doing anything major… like starting a Realm 2, REAL backups also help for when enchanting or anything else gives you lemons :face_with_monocle: Manual backups also good for replaying boss fights if that’s also on the cards for you.
Saves are located at C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\LocalLow\Moon Studios\NoRestForTheWicked\

I’m loving it also, I’m not even good at soulslike games, but this caught me, it hits different.

I agree with all your suggestions/criticism and thumbed your post up. Our experiences at the start of the game seem pretty much exactly the same, I feel like an easy fix would be to let the player purchase additional inventory from vendors with a scaling cost. Even just 5 or 10 of the extra spaces would’ve made a huge difference at the start for me, instead I ended up saving up for a house for storage same as you.

There’s not a respec system currently; however, if you make another character and play on the same realm your house, possessions, and progression should all be there. If you set up some starting gear for your alternate character, leveling up to try a new build is mostly painless. I don’t think I like this system though and would prefer some kind of respec option.

There’s some talk of adjusting the stat system so hopefully changes are coming that’ll let us at least try out new gear before investing in a build.

As someone else mentioned there are ways involving the creation of new realms to farm additional gear/drops but this seems extremely counterintuitive, particularly for incoming players and I hope that is isn’t the intended way of doing things.