Does anyone get good performance on a GPU with 8gb VRAM?

Been really baffled at the difference between my PC and my steam deck. Got a brand new 4060 and it STILL has a frame latency of over 100ms which makes the game completely unplayable. This is on very low quality, high performance settings. And yet my steam deck (which itself costs less than the next step up in graphics cards) is able to play it. And to be clear, even my old graphics card setup runs cyberpunk and what not perfectly happily.

Someone else said their performance is fine on a 1080 TI, which has 11 GB VRAM. Both the cards I tried have 8 GB VRAM. The steam deck has blurry ram lines but it can push towards 16GB for the cpu/gpu.

I think this might be what makes the performance just completely unplayable, and kind of ridiculously so for a 2D ARPG. Is anyone out there getting good performance on a system with 8GB on their GPU?

2 Likes

8GB VRAM should be fine (I’m using RTX3070 with 8GB VRAM myself), unless you are playing in a very high resolution. Would you post dxdiag dump of your PC configuration? Just press the win start key and type: dxdiag and in its window press “Save All Information” button.
Next, if you can, pls download Intel PresentMon → Download v2.1, install/start it and set Preset to “GPU FOCUS”.
Then play with it. It will show a special window with detail info about GPU utilization, temperatures etc.:

Could you make a screenshot and post it here?
If the bad perf (100ms frames would make it 10fps) is only occasional, it would need a video posted on youtube

It is an ultra wide, 3440x1440 but even when I run in a small window the same size as the steam deck there is crazy frame latency

The dxdiag report and PresentMon could help us explain it

Hello @wayward :hugs:

In reality; a GPU with 8GB of VRAM can provide good performance for many users; depending on their demands and tasks. With most recent games running at high settings; an 8GB GPU can easily handle 1080p or even 1440p graphics.

the devs did mention that they want the players to have a cinematic experience. and cinema is 24 fps.

1 Like

4070 super. 1440p with all performance settings.

1080p, still all performance

So I guess yall were right, the 8gb is not the problem. The game is.

just for reference, i’m playing 4k max settings on a 4080, i get 120-144 fps on a 144hz monitor.

See that’s what it should be, I’ve got 32gb ram, solid CPU, M2 SSDs, wtf is going on

That is unusually slow rendering. I agree!
But I was showing you that I’m playing the same game on a generation older card RTX 3070 8GB with 10x better FPS. Definitely not the game’s fault. We have three known cases for very low FPS:

1. PCIe accidentally set to low number of lanes. Usually 4x. It needs to be 16x lanes, so any data uploaded to or downloaded from GPU are not stalling rendering. Ideally use free programs like CPUID and check the number:

2. DRAM frequency is low and/or DRAM modules are not plugged correctly (or not the same size/timings), so dual channel mode can’t be used.
    The frequency can be verified in the CPUID:
    The correct utilization of dual channel is described in your motherboard manual and it could be counter intuitive. For example in my case, I have 4 slots for DRAM and I want to use just 2, so their correct slots are 2 and 4, instead of 1 and 2 how I would expect. Slot usage can be verified in the CPUID:
    There you can also read the best timing available for each module and verify it’s the one in use for the previous check.

3. Exclusive Fullscreen is sometimes much slower than Fullscreen Window mode. Please try both in the game and compare FPS.

Some of these issues couldn’t be visible in other games if they are uploading to GPU once and never read back or silently always use a borderless window with no support of a true Exclusive Fullscreen.
Please let me know if any of this helps.