Classless system and no diversity (my biggest issue with wicked)

So far I’ve played for about 30 hours and I think the game is amazing I honestly do. I think with more content, multiplayer, and balance changes this game will be a true staple in the arpg space.

But there is just one issue that has been bothering me and it’s the soft class or classless system.

I understand the vision the dev team had into making it so you have ultimate freedom with your character. But is it actually what was attended. Does picking a stat really matter when you can use almost any weapon with any stat combination. When almost any build can just cheese bosses with the hammer throw ability or other abilities. And the best strategy seems to be just spamming your rune abilities and the visceral combat seems to fade once you have the power to spam said abilities.

I just really want my decision to matter and at this point in the game it doesn’t feel like that at all. Why make a faith build? I don’t know! Why make a dex build? for bows and dual daggers. Why make strength build I don’t know! Why make intellect builds for staffs and spells.

I know this statement may seem kinda flawed but let me put it this way if I can use 90% of the attacks a strength or faith build can use with a dex build because you are mostly spamming rune spells. Then what is driving me to try doing a strength or faith build? And not to mention strength and faith don’t really have any distinguishing differences. Other then a type of melee weapon they use.

What is driving me to use stamina more then focus other then shields and parry? Maybe if there was a basic attack build or affix that could give bonus to basic attacks stamina would be a bigger contender.

And I know putting stats makes the weapons scale but why not do this and also more.

I made a post about a solution to runes being tied with stats for more clear arch types.and I’ve seen people suggest that stats have different bonuses attached to them. Here’s the previous post if you want to look at it.

And I just have a few question am I the only one who feels like this is a major issue? Am I taking crazy pills? Have the devs spoke about this and or will they? Please let me know if you have heard anything and what you think about this topic.

1 Like

This is kinda proving my point the builds that are all s tier just involve spamming your rune spells and using a dex build with bow you can use 3 of the runes that are on the top of his tier list. And they are all focus builds.

And I’m sure once more tier lists come out they will all be similar. I think the best way to fix this would be to have runes designated to certain stats it just makes sense.

The state of tier lists is more reflective of the imbalance of the Focus on Damage Dealt in combination with attacks that hit multiple times. There are other smaller factors such as how easy it is to increase your maximum Focus. Restricting runes with attribute requirements won’t change the meta.

1 Like

Even without that or having it nurfed you can still spam potions. And I don’t think that’s an issue really to have focus builds like this if they scale damage from those spells down a bit. And also maybe nurf or change some of the gems. Or make it even harder to achieve.

There just seem to be lack of play styles like could you tell me what all the different builds are in this game? This tier list has like 8 and 4 of them are basically the exact same focus build

Yes, they will all be the same because of the potency of some runes in combination with how accessible regenerating Focus is. This will have no bearing on the classless fantasy however.

It’s just bugging me like I’m pretty sure you could probably achieve all of those builds buddy put on his tier list from going a dex/int hybrid. To me it’s like why even have stats

I feel like just yesterday I read a dozen or so posts about how mages and bows weren’t viable, now they are S tier. Lol.

I dont think I would have been able to beat half the content as easily as I did if I wasn’t rocking the bow and then getting cone shot. I killed the ravin twins with like 4 shots lol

Ps: this game was a big learning curve for me I was really really bad at first.

I’m going to try a pure faith build next and see if my opinion about faith and strength builds change.

There’s some imbalance that makes some archetypes a lot stronger than others right now but, this is hopeful game design slamming into the hard reality of gamers on the internet. Give them some time and they’ll reshape things to incentivise all their archetypes eventually.

What I’m seeing so far from the base mechanics in theory is defined first by the weapon type you use. There are just tons of these and they all have different footwork and combos, kind of a stunning variety really. Admittedly, the utility of different weapons for defeating the game is dramatically different. Ice is clearly the best status with a long duration hard stun, poise damage seems to be very normalized where some slower weapons could badly use more of it. Many attack chains are weak against the more evasive or dangerous enemies, and so on.

Secondarily, your build is defined by where you fall on the equipment weight spectrum. Light builds seem to have a high skill ceiling and can dump stamina for offense and defense in interesting ways. Medium builds are good in general but hopefully you got some armor for that weight. Heavy is really interesting because of the push, and the way you become heavy matters a lot as well, with stat investment you’re probably wearing plate and carrying heavy weapons, without stat investment you might just be carrying one key heavy piece of gear and making use of the shove.

Blocking as a mechanic seems to work well, but Poise for both the player and enemies doesn’t feel varied enough across builds. Runes are massively imbalanced in the context of fighting actual enemies, but could probably improve significantly just with changes to their focus costs.

Ya I know it takes time I just want it now!!!

No I’m just kidding I’m honestly just trying to give feedback to the devs on my experience with the game and this is something I’ve never done before but I don’t know for some reason this game and the fact it’s early access and I’m really liking it alot and am passionate about it. I want to see it be successful. And in my own selfish way be the game I want I’ll admit that ya lol. But I’ve seen topics similar also from other people.

This is only a factor of your build and gives for more diversity and I really like this concept a lot! Like I can make 3 mage characters and have them be all different depending on what weight I choose.

I love making new characters and trying different things and different combinations. And what I’m trying to say is there would be more combinations if there was more definition between all the stat types. in a way they have already just tickled with this idea with dex and int builds.

Also I understand this to some degree but like any stat can use any weapon except faith and strength a bit less. And by the end your just smashing rune spells

Haha, yeah same.

I think with the weapons, they are trying to make them exclusive with the high use requirements and damage scaling. However there does seem to like, be a straight sword for every single stat type (they do all have quite different move sets but, not sure how much that matters).

I do think they could try to make the stats more thematic by restricting things a bit more, like say fire runes can only go on weapons with a certain faith requirement or something. They seem to want to keep the builds more open ended than this, you can truly make any combination of stats and weapon right now. But I can see how this does make those stats ‘all the same’, at most there might not be a two handed hammer that requires 42 dex, and there might not be a dagger that requires 42 faith (but most combinations do exist, so the theme is very tenuous).

There’s also a two handed sword that just uses pure int and personally I think it takes away for the strength builds. It would make more sense to me if the int sword was able to use the same spells as the staff. That would be very cool
In my opinion.

But I did a whole thread about these ideas. it’s linked in the original post