Runes should be tied more to stats (let’s talk about more runes we would like to see)

I think to make picking certain stats more impactful then just scaling damage on different weapons.

There should be more runes that are specific to the stats the weapons scale with.

Like if you have a two handed int sword. You should be able to cast spells with it.

If you have a two handed int and strength sword you should be able to cast spells and have other strength type runes and two handed weapon runes on it.

I’m not saying what they have now for a rune system is bad. But I really want to dive into the more role specific type of game play. And I think it will be a lot better for the multiplayer experience when it arrives!

Yes it’s more restrictive but you don’t have to make it that much more restrictive and also it opens up more options like shooting spells with two handed swords lol!

examples stat specific runes.

• healing spells for faith builds

• magic barriers for whole team for faith builds

• auras like in d2 for faith builds(but maybe you cast with focus and they last for a tiny bit) this would be awesome for multiplayer

-smoke grenades for dex builds

• cloak for dex builds

-decoy clones for dex builds

-throw weapons on strength and faith weapons

-earth quakes for strength builds

-summons for int builds

-focus shield for int builds ( damge takes off focus instead of health) would be super cool for a melee sword wielding int build

Idk let me know what you think and give more examples I’d like to hear more!

More examples.

-stun runes for strength

-taunt for strength

-shield breaking for strength

More examples.

-revive for faith

There could also be some that require you to have two stats on your weapons

Examples.

• totems (healing, fire, ice, plague, lightning) for int/faith

-curses for dex/int

-fire slam (really awesome attack right now for two handed sword but I think it falls more into strength/int because of the aoe/dot)

-shapeshifting (wolf) dex/faith

-shapeshifting (bear or owl bear) strength/faith

The primary concern from the Devs is that their initial desire is not to be restrictive of the stats to very focused archetypes, which I do agree with and intrigues me.

For example, in Elden Ring, Faith is not simply healing, but extends to different flavors of buffs, as well as entirely different flavors of spells. Dragon magic, lightning magic, holy, fire, death, shadow, etc. When the Developers talk about their intent, this is very much what it sounds like what they want to realize, but just you don’t need the stat itself to use the spells (in this case runes). I’m intrigued by this and welcome the idea.

I do feel firmly against locking runes to the stats. If they can find a way for our stats to add flavor I’m all for seeing how that looks.

At some point there have to be restrictions by nature of the reality of development and if some experimentation can be done in Early Access, I want them to go crazy with it so we can experience it in practice and see what we like. I hope to avoid a final result where a pursuit of maximum freedom results in everything being flavorless and ultimately samey.

Is the solution not simple?

Rune attacks’ damage scales either with the stat for that rune, or with the stat tied to the weapon it’s on, whichever is higher.

Fixed.

1 Like

Ripper, a one-handed axe has a taunt in the name of it’s skill. Where you beat your chest twice and then swing forward. Unsure if it actually taunts though.

I like your idea for an earthquake rune, but then tie it to a two-handed hammer with a lengthy windup and it then staggers enemies in an AOE and you have some form of Hyper Armor during the windup.

I also have to say, I would be against locking runes to stats as it feels restrictive.

Here are some other idea’s for runes.

• Lifesteal Buff.

• Lightning Enchant 2: lightning sparks from your attacks to other enemies. Like a chain lightning effect.

• Cold Enchant 2: ice spikes extend from enemies hit from attacks hitting enemies in an AOE around them.

• Flame Enchant 2: whilst attacking you create heat seeking missiles that become active after some time seeking out pulled enemies.

1 Like

Ya but faith in this game doesn’t seem much different from strength to be honest.

Like when I was watching content creators play the early teaser I thought I’d try a bow guy or a faith guy to make a healer class.

But it doesn’t seem like faith has any value to it. Might as well not be in the game and just be strength. (Correct me if I’m wrong)

Like i may be the only one who thinks this but I love the healer/support class. I think it’s really cool and games like this arnt really doing it anymore. And are focusing on single player game play. No rest for the wicked is really trying to make its own wave I think they should bring it back for arpg top down game like this!

I agree it will make things more restrictive but they don’t have to go crazy with it only a few here and there and I think it would help define picking strength or faith as your main stat a bit better.

I also like that idea that runes scale with stats could be good too

Also technically they are already locked to stats but mainly for dex and int because of bow runes and staff runes.

I agree, Faith seems to have no identity of its own. INT is clearly the caster class, DEX has knives and bows, and STR has some of the heavier weapons. FTH just seems like strength again, maybe with a tiny bit more emphasis on blunt weapons. It’s not a bad build or anything, it just seems completely indistinguishable from STR

Maybe an off-hand censor for Faith based builds.

Ya both strength and faith are either just one handed melee weapon with shield or two handed melee weapon

1 Like

Yeah, I completely agree that this is a specific issue with faith, and probably the top priority issue for it as a stat. It doesn’t have really any identity right now.

1 Like

Another way they could keep it less restrictive could be rune levels.

Example.

Anyone can use heal aura.

But there could be a heal aura level 2 that requires a faith weapon.