What's the incentive on spending points on secondary stats?

I’ve been watching the game for several days now and I really loving the game so far. But there’s something that’s been bugging me with the stats systems.

What’s the incentive for not min-maxing stats? For example, in traditional RPGs, INT used for spell damage, mana regen, manapool, etc. While knights might not have arsenal of spells like mages do, the still have some kind of spell that scales with their INT (for example, expanding their manapool so they can spam more spells). in NRftW, if I use STR-based weapons, the INT is practically useless, right? because spells (moon attacks) uses focus and focus based on their own stats.

I don’t have access to the game, so I don’t know if there’s something I miss. But if that’s the case, if I use STR weapons at the beginning and focus my stats on STR, it would just discourage me to spend the skill points into other stats and thus discourage me to change weapon / playstyle for the rest of the run.

just to make sure, what I mean by secondary stats is the weapon based stats (strength, intelligence, dexterity, faith) that do not scale with current weapon. I think other stats like health, stamina, focus, and equip load are fine.

1 Like

Yea, I think you’re describing a feature, not a flaw. At least, from the design standpoint. Many builds will have one primary damage stat (STR, DEX, FTH, INT). There will probably be “quality” builds, or hybrid builds, with weapons that scale on two (or more) stats: STR/DEX, x/FTH, x/INT, etc. You might not necessarily plan on that build–you might start as STR, for example, but find a cool weapon that scales on STR/FTH, so then you start dropping points in FTH.

They said that respeccing would probably be present, although stingy–so you have that option, to change things up if you find an INT weapon and want to respec as a Mage. But you won’t be able to do that constantly.

You certainly will be able to change your weapon, even within a single stat build. There will undoubtedly be many different weapons that scale with each stat.

So you might start with the goal of being a staff mage. But then maybe you switch to wands. Or maybe you find an INT scaling sword and decide to go with a Sword and shield approach. Or maybe you find a Moonlight Greatsword.

Those options will be there.

Also, keep in mind that many Soulslike games allow you to modify a weapon to change the scaling on it. So let’s say you find a weapon that isn’t scaling off your primary stat. You might be able to take it to the blacksmith and change the scaling so it scales (at least somewhat) off your primary stat.

Finally, you’re already going to be hard pressed to put points in all the stats you want. Your primary damage stat (STR, DEX, INT, FTH), of course, but most builds will want some health, stamina, focus, and equip load. We really don’t need extra incentive to try to spread points around even more.

3 Likes

Hi there! I realized that we chat on Discord. For everyone else want to follow the discussion, here’s the discord link