Make Str, Dex, Int & Fai have additional effects

At the moment the Str, Dex, Int & Fai stat are pretty much the same. We just need to spend certain number of points into them to use certain weapons. We could have just one damage stat to serve the same purpose and use any weapon we want.

It would be great if these stats provided some other utility so it would still be important for certain builds to spend points into stats that are not needed for a weapon they are using.

It could be something like that:

Str - Damage stat, increase poise by %, increase armor by %, reduce damage taken by XX per point after armor reduction, take 0.5% less damage from debuffs and status effects per point, gain 0.15% resistance to all elements per point, reduce equipment weight by 0.3% per point

Dex - Damage stat, increase move/run speed by %, increase melee swing/bow shooting speed by %, increase rune casting speed by %, add 0.3% chance to deal double damage per point, get up faster after being staggered/knocked out by %, reduce fall damage by %

Int - Damage stat, increase focus gain by %, reduce rune focus cost by %, increase damage of cold & plague element by %, increase cold & plague status efficiency by %, gain 0.1% resistance to cold & plague element per point, increase efficiency of life steal effect by %,

Faith - Damage stat, increase healing power by % (both for casting healing on yourself and others + healing yourself more with food), extend buff duration by %, decrease debuff duration on yourself by %, increase damage of heat/fire & lightning element by %, increase heat/fire & lightning status efficiency by %, gain 0.1% resistance to heat/fire & lightning element per point, add 0.2% chance to survive a fatal blow with 1hp

The values would need to be balanced around the max level. It is just an example.

10 Likes

Yep I agree with this! It would make levelling up a more calculated decision but at the same time allow the other attributes to actually play a role in your build if you spend a few points on them.
In it’s current state spending skill points is pretty much, dump as many points in your chosen weapons attribute as possible but throw in some Health and Equip Load for good measure and that’s going to get stale pretty fast!
Hope the Devs take notice and think about improving Attributes at least somehow

I disagree with adding more weight to attributes.

The current system is nice and simple and quick to understand. I don’t have to min-max my stats as much. Most if it will be around balancing my stamina, equip load, focus and health and dumping the rest into my weapon scaling stats. Little thought is required.

I think attaching more weight to stats such as Strength, Dexterity, Intelligence and faith, adds an unnecessary layer of complexity to player builds. In other Soulslike’s this might work due to how some systems are designed. But I think that for Wicked the current attribute system facilitates it’s other systems.

I do however think that a way to further personalize our builds with your proposed affixes and other affixes, is a very good idea. I would just change it to a feat/trait system and make it replace the current Inventory Expansion system with the Plague Ichors.

You wouldn’t necessarily have to splash stats to min-max, the extra stats could be be there purely to make the various main stat builds feel more different which to me is the root issue. A strength build doesn’t feel meaningfully different from a dex/faith build to me and int builds only really differ due to staves having unique runes.

An alternative would be to flesh out the runes a lot more - tie them to 1-2 specific attributes with different scaling, etc. But I’d like to see more stuff to create more meaningful differences between main stat builds.

1 Like

As someone who is on the fence with this whenever it comes up, complexitity isn’t usually a negative for ARPGs. Many love the number crunching.

Correct me if I’m wrong but, I think in essence we all want the same thing, namely: more ‘‘class’’ or ‘‘archetype’’ differentiation.

But, we have different ideas on how to achieve this:

• Expended Attribute System

• Feats or Traits to customize your Class Fantasy

• A more fleshed out Rune system

I have 1000’s of hours into CRPG’s myself and love making excel sheets for build ideas. My favorite games are WOTR and Rogue Trader. I just think the simplicity in this design allows for it to appeal to a broader audience.

To further add on this, I think most of the complexity will come from the enchantment affixes.

Edits: Didn’t want to double post.

1 Like

Ultimately it comes down to what Moon has a vision for then. Do they want the game to be approachable by many? Ideally they have a selection in mind because a game for anyone is a game for no one.

Edit: I also think Enchants will provide greater class/fantasy expression. Thomas has already expressed interest in it, too!

not at all
I took two daggers and am leveling up my dex - I associate myself with a rogue.
I don’t need any indication of the archetype.
Up your faith - you will be a palladin (in your head) for exempale

But I agree that the stats need more weight than just a bonus to damage.

1 Like

This is contradictory.

By adding more weight to attributes you achieve differentiation.

Your Dexterity Rogue gains more X, meanwhile my Strength/Faith Paladin gains more Y/Z. Thus, more differentiation is achieved. We want the same, but want it in a different manner.

1 Like

The idea to add these secondary effects as feats gained by drinking plague ichor is a good idea.

But I still feel like something needs to be done about the 4 stats. Might as well merge them all into 1 damage stat and let us use all weapons we want to. What’s the point of restricting weapons based on stats that give you nothing special?

1 Like

Sure, there’s a certain fantasy connected just to the name of the stat but you can go int and pick up a dagger and basically be mechanically identical to going dex. That’s where the illusion breaks down for me.

Yeah, I’m not particularly picky which route the devs go with as long as they address that complaint

1 Like

If I want make super speed mage, I will up dex. But I don’t need bow stack speed on it.
So I want to tell, we need more bonuses for stats, but without class mechanics

I agree with you that it feels like: Strength = Dexterity = Faith = Intelligence. Since it only affects weapon scaling and influences weapon requirements.

One concern I have with assigning extra values to the attributes is the following. We go from 10 to above a 100, from the outset that looks very hard to balance.

But here is an idea, why not combine our idea’s and have Stat Restricted Feats that unlock with Plague Ichor.

Example:

16 Faith: +10 Plague resistance
24 Faith: +10% Healing efficiency

16 Dexterity: +10 Attack Speed
24 Dexterity: -10% Stamina cost for attacks

16 Strength: +10% Damage
24 Strength: -10% equip load

16 Intelligence: -10% Rune cost
24 Intelligence: +10% Focus gain

Generic Trait: Reduce stamina cost when dodging when you have a light equipment load
Generic Trait: Deal 10% more damage with One-Handed Weapons

Don’t read to much in the values as they are just an example.

And then add a hard cap or make some mutually exclusive.

Edit: I do know the devs dislike skill trees but I still feel like it would be such a good system to flesh out your builds.

Edit 2: I do still think no requirements would be better as they would allow for maximum freedom.

1 Like

Agree :100:. Every other RPG is like this and this is missing that. They just feel empty.

1 Like