The problem i see with attack runes : Vast dynamic movesets VS Spamming one button

Your missing the point that I am trying to make with regards to endgame:

Soulslike → Tactical Combat → Tactical 1v1’s similar to the start of the game

ARPG (Diablo-like) → Button Mashing Power Fantasy → Rune or auto-attack spam deleting mobs and overriding their mechanics

Cooldowns are more associated with RPGs yes, that’s not the point. Cooldowns create tactical combat → V Rising, WoW PvP, etc.

Wicked is not a Soulslike but the tactical elements of combat are there to the extent that it feels like a lovebaby between a Soulslike and an ARPG.

Even if Focus gain on damage/rune usage is done as you suggested it won’t solve the overarching issues. Here are some:

• Meta Runes → Competition between runes due to a shared resource: Focus

• Limited Reactive Combat → Restricted due to having to build up focus to use dodge runes, aoe runes. You can’t respond dynamically to situations unless you have focus. Cooldowns are also limiting but less limiting if their cooldowns are ‘fair’ relative to the combat.

• Focus Cap and Potions → If you have enough focus capacity and enough focus potions you can still spam before fights. With the increased focus restoration of focus potions, +100 per tier. And, most runes costing 50 focus each. We can assume to keep spamming runes throughout combat if we chug high enough level focus potions. If we chug a 200 focus restore potion we can spam 4 more runes.

I have more on this subject:

And these discussions are a good read in general: