Runecrafting and Enchanting Revisioned

I have noticed from several topics that people have some issues with the current rune system and there are quite a few topics on enchanting as well. So let’s talk about Eleanor and her Enchantment Shop.

I’m not going to talk about balancing just about the way the current system works and some flaws

The current issues with Runes and Enchanting.

• You farm an item for several hours until you get lucky and then low roll on a gem enchant or regular enchant. Back to farming.

• Some affixes can only be gained through the regular enchant limiting player freedom whilst enchanting their hard found gear.

• A lot of players simply purchase gear from the blacksmith and randomly enchant that gear and hope for RNG that way. This can become a boring ‘‘meta’’ where everyone will look the same. And farming for your own unique gear is discouraged.

• Weapons get destroyed when extracting a rune, not being able to override current runes, not being able to swap out runes.

Solutions

1. Let us override existing gem enchants with the exact same enchant. If I roll +5% Heat damage I should be able to use the another Ruby and hope for a better result. Now you only have to farm gems and not gems and weapons. This becomes incredibly tedious the more enchants you want to have on a weapon.

2. Add more custom enchantment options.

3. A more clear trade-off between random and custom enchants.

4. The ability to swap out runes more easily, giving players more weapon customization freedom.

My suggestions regarding solution 3 & 4.

Feedback on this is appreciated.

Enchanting

I would like a trade-off between random and custom enchants. The way I envision this is as follows:

Random enchants are quick and easy, but have more randomness.

Custom enchants are more precise but cost more resources and time.

I would keep the random enchants as is, but give more dept to custom enchants to make it feel more rewarding. You invest time and resources into enchanting to truly make the weapon feel like your own unique weapon.

Gem Refinement

I dislike the idea of just adding gems and be done with it, I would like some more depth to this. Maybe a gem refinement station where you deposit your gems and it takes some time to refine them, similar to ore and planks. and Then you get higher/better affixes. Not completely getting rid of the randomness but just better results due to more investment.

Runes

The issue stems from people not being able to fully customize the runes on their weapons. Not liking existing runes on their weapons and that weapons get destroyed when extracting a rune.

Rune Crafting

Rather than destroying the weapon you can destroy the existing rune on the weapon. I think that freely swapping runes between weapons is a bit too much. But, the ability to extract and then craft runes would be a nice middle ground. You are now required to farm for resources to craft these runes and slot them, whilst maintaining a destruction element to the system.

I have an entire stock pile of rubies, maybe it’s an idea to use rubies for any Heat based rune. Basically, use existing materials as much as possible for rune crafting and maybe 1 or 2 new materials.

Thanks for reading this lengthy post and I am happy to hear your thoughts on this matter!

6 Likes

This is a growing issue in the community and I’ve posted on this myself. It feels terrible finding that weapon you want then dreading the second step of RNG’ing an item into uselessness.

Easy fixes I like:
Allow me to restocked a gem for a new roll OR make gems tiered and have static bonuses (I prefer the latter)

Allow me to re-enchant an enchanted weapon at a slightly increased amount of coins each progressive time OR allow a focused curse reroll where you’re stuck with the beneficial enchantment but can get rid of something that reduces health or focus by 20+% so I can at least use that piece of gear.

Agreed, or when you are too afraid of doing a random enchant and manually enchant and get a low roll :joy:

Wicked focusses a lot on player freedom and with enchanting I feel very constrained. This has multiple factors:

• Gear scarcity

• Lack of manual enchants

• Not being able to override current enchants with the same enchant to get a possible better result

Overall I feel like Enchanting isn’t very fleshed out yet, I mean it is early access. So I think a lot of player feedback on this matter hopefully helps the devs. We just need more options.

Maybe allow a one-time reroll of an affix of a random enchant or something yeah.

Feel the same way, this should be slightly altered in favor of players.

I lean towards simply allowing resocketing and enchanting of blue and purple items, completely rerolling them (could also swap the blue enchant to a purple one and vice versa);
keeping the total randomness, but giving the players multiple chances

1 Like

Resocketing would be such a QOL improvement.

I still think the enchanting should be fleshed out more.

More affixes, more differentiation between random and manual enchants and a clear benefit/cost to either way of enchanting.