UPDATE: Poll Results, Analysis & Discussion: Plate is Overpowered

roger, you understoond me right.
but yeah there needs to be a bit more. i some some good ideas being thrown around in the discussion :smile:

Interessting discussion. Didn’t find it earlier though…

For reference, I wear leather, with the intent, that I do not want to spent too many points in equip load, I intent to get hit from time to time (new enemies, bosses, etc…), but eventuelly memorize everything and do not get hit.

However, a couple of mentions are here, that I do not agree, and some, that are great.

First: Please do not streamline armor types. Equipload stat should be a thing. If you want to be a dagger dude in Plate… sure, go for it. Might be fun.
Second: Dont put stats like str/dex on specific armor types. You wanna be a monk in cloth. NO. You sir, wanna be a paladin. Have fun with the str u don’t need… I don’t like this tbh.

Hoooowever :slight_smile:

The idea, that gems and enchantments may become weaker with equipload it interesting. You wanna be a glasscannon, sure wear cloth and you can have the focus regen we currently have. Go to leather and this is not going to happen anymore.
It still poses an issue though. For plate u have to lvl up equipload, but it will do nothing else for you and while you are doing it, it will kind of nerve you too. That might feel bad. Don’t know though.

Tbh. I don’t have a solution, because I would have NEVER guessed the outcome of this voting.

That’s in line with what other people have said who prefer lighter armors. They don’t tend to get hit so armor doesn’t matter as much and they favor a normal/light equip load.

Also just for reference, since I’m not sure whether or not you are referring to my suggestion with another stat to armor types. I didn’t mean a stat like strength or dexterity, but something similar to effective focus regeneration; like an affix or something. If you are not referring to me just disregard this. If it this I could have probably expressed myself better and apologize for the potential confusion on the matter.

1 Like

No, I don’t think it was you and I should reaaaaly use the quoting function. Sorry, I try to stay active in here, but I am writing my master thesis and have litte time, to do this properly. I am very sorry about that. :frowning:

That being said, I love this game, even bought a new pc to play the early access! :laughing:

My point was, that armor should not be assoziated with any specific playstyle. However nerfing armor by giving you weaker mods may be tough, since you leveled for this. So you level a stat that will eventually nerf you. That also feels a kind of bad tbh. Yes you can tank more, but you might also need this, since you will deal less damage overall. Imo, that is how I percived the system so far. I think, if you can just delete enemies (eg. put more into damage stat), then you will not need heavy armor, since getting hit will not occur too often. That is how I think at least…

Oh one other thing. Let’s make a little thought.

You wanna play as a mage but get hit from time to time. As a mage, you want focus regen, since you want to cast. If you nerf heavier armor this way, a mage is required to wear cloth to maintain the playstyle. With heavier armor, the player will be required to go melee from time to time to relenish focus.

That feels a bit, counterintuitive.

Oh no don’t worry about it, and good luck with your masters!

I agree with you that armor should not push players into a specific direction. Players should still have that level of freedom. I did notice a lot of diminishing returns when investing into the damage attributes. More so for hybrid builds, where you invest 6 attribute points for +2 damage.

1 Like

Well if you combine that with the way stats increase your damage, you might be onto smth.

Typical soulsy stats are like

• lvl 10: 1 dmg
  • lvl 20: 2dmg
  • lvl 50: 5dmg
  • lvl 60: 4dmg

While I see why this is implemented this way, it will result in: “So I have 60 dex, let’s lvl equipload, since dex will not give me more damage (not a lot at least)”. However, if this would not be the case, then this incentive would be gone. Say after 50 dex, you will get constant 5 dmg. Combine this, with armor getting heavier every tier and you might be onto smth.

This would also serve as a difficulty slider, which has been requested since the age of soulsy games. Now you can be a glass cannon, at the risk of getting mowed down quickly. If you wanna facetank and be safer, you can, but the fights will take longer.

Don’t know, smth. like this maybe? Just spitballing here. :slight_smile:

Sorry if i did not follow the whole discussion correctly (correct me if i misumderstood please) , but i think you also have to consider the type of build you are pursuing
Examples:
If i pursue a Rune spamming Build, which relies on no investment( focus gain on hit+health on hit or health on (dmg taken, why??? To sum it literaly 2 enchants, and 1 gem on the pants), then yes plate is superior, because you have the “freedom” to roll for weight reduction etc.
But if you pursue a Weapon Focused Build, Dodge/Interrupt when you can, get off your slow Attack chains, etc. it is clearly not! Take the previous mentioned out the equation, and look again, now you have to roll for Focus gain increase to spam Runes, or +stamina, attack stamina cost reduction, +armor, or weigth reduction etc, to gain something specific to your playstyle, it stays a gain/tradeoff.
So, what kind of Build your Position in regards to Plate Armor is Based on?
Sorry for my English it is not my Maternal Language

Should have a similar effect on stamina.

It makes sense that a player’s stamina wouldn’t refill as fast with heavier armor - but this could be attributed to weight rather than type as well. Just puts more pressure/emphasis on the weight.

Stamina is more relevant if archers use stamina.

We were discussing the fact, that most people seem to use plate armor and why / how to make other armor types more attractive.

My stand is, that the armor type should not lock you into a playstyle. It could act as a difficulty slider. However to archive that, there must be a return for you to level your damage stat / stats. That was my point at least.

The fact that it could impact stamina regen also crossed my mind, however I don‘t know how i feel about that. You see, you already have to level equip load. If you do that knowing you will receive a nerf, that stat becomes sort of toxic. But I might be wrong about that.

If you have less damage, because you did not level your damage stat in return, it would just be logical.

Addition: I have no clue about max level, endgame etc… But these damage increases need to continue and not fall off like in souls games. If that were the case, then you would probably just level equipload at a certain point in the game and not your damage stat, since you wont get anything out of it. This is under the assumption, that you are comfortable with your health and stamina.

Linking this post as it also includes information about this topic.

Cloth & Leather Don’t Work Mathematically Speaking

1 Like

For what it’s worth I suggested something similar before, for item types to have an inherent affix.

But specifically giving Focus Gain for cloth makes a lot of sense. It’ll make it attractive for spellcasters (plus any build who wants to go spamming runes). This would turn them into a high-risk, high-reward glass cannon since cloth wouldn’t offer much protection.

What about Leather having Stamina Gain? For players who want to do long combos and roll/dash around like crazy. I recently made a build that had a lightning katana and mushroom hat, I thought “cool, now he really looks like some sort of ronin”. It’d be cool if he could keep dashing and attacking. It would still be a glass cannon like cloth (because leather defense is also kinda low), just with regular weapon attacks instead of runes.

EDIT: Also when I say “spam runes” and “roll/dash like crazy” I’m only referring to end-game cloth/leather armor. The amount of focus/stamina gain should be proportional to the armor’s level requirement.