[Linked] Last 2 hours of progress disappeared

Hello. This afternoon I quit out of my shared realm, hopped back on 6 hours later, and the last almost 2 hours of my save is just non-existant. Neither in the DataStore nor Steam Cloud saves. My BAK1 file is timestamped 11:36 AM, steam cloud file is from 6:33 PM which matches the current CERIMAL file. I did try disabling cloud sync and deleting the current CERIMAL file, changing the BAK1 file, and that made no change. Its like the last 2 hours I played were never recorded, and the only files I have timestamped for those missing 2 hours are in the /crashpad folder, one being metadata and the other being a dmp file in /reports. Not sure how to go about restoring my missing progress as it just seems to be no where, but any help’s appreciated. Here’s a link to my mentioned files: NoRestForWicked Bug - Google Drive

Hey man that sounds terrible, we’ve had a few cases of lost progression.

Could you verify if this is your issue? Bug Report – Steam Cloud / Local Save Injection

If you can reproduce the issue with the steps included there in thte body post, please let me know what the results are!

Silas

I’m not sure if this is my problem, as I always have steam cloud sync enabled. Also I’m not sure what they mean with reproducing it, especially step 3. ‘Observe that the Account is not correctly taken into account.’ Keeping my timeline in order, I played until 1:08 PM, but while playing from 11:36 AM until then there are no signs of saves during playtime and upon exit. The next updated save file came from 6:33 PM where both the steam cloud and local save files align. I also did some digging into the Moon Restore Tool and that didn’t flag either character as having been rollbacks. But I’m kinda lost with how those 2 hours of playtime just dont exist and I’m not sure where to look to find them.

Well heres my solution to this as it seems to be saving now (though this didnt really answer why it happened):

  1. Save the ‘LocalLow/Moon Studios/NoRestForTheWicked’ folder as a backup in another directory.

  2. Relaunch with cloud sync enabled, load character into realm in question.

  3. Exit game, checking if the local save and cloud save are synced to present time.

  4. Delete the updated Moon Studios/NoRestForTheWicked local save folder and replace with the original backup.

  5. Relaunch game, and you should be greeted with a cloud sync conflict screen when loading into your character (picture below). Choose local save i.e original backup.

  6. Play for a bit to change game state (location, materials sold, inventory, etc). Quit and check to see if local save and steam cloud sync are both saving to the present timestamp. Now you can continue playing, just had to take an L on the lost progress at this point in time.

Side note: looking back on this morning, I believe my game did crash randomly at the time of the original BAK1 file (timestamped 11:36 AM), and neither steam cloud nor the local save updated with the playtime I had after I relaunched the game until closing. So, if you do happen to crash, keep an eye on the cloud sync making sure it fully uploads, and check the local save files to see if they update as well.

Wow, you’ve poured a lot of effort in troubleshooting this, the team will appreciate that!

I will escalate this problem so it can be investigated :saluting_face: .

Silas