PURE BOW - No main hand

Huge bow fan here and i hate the fact that i’m basically forced to use bow + a MH like dagger to unleash my full potential. Can we get any perks that would boost a character for only using a bow? Any bonus, so i’m not behind those that use 2 weapons?

I want to be a pure bow user, with no MH…

7 Likes

Bow only builds would be cool, I’d also like a Fists only build for the challenge but it doesn’t scale or have any slot usage for extra attributes.

Bow or Fists having a 2H main slot would be cool in my opinion so you can scale them up.

5 Likes

Bows are off-hand and very useful for keeping the stagger meter up. or get at some mobs from a distance BUT a bow by itself doesn’t carry stats. You can’t really enchant them, they get garbage stats.

Bows are fun, just did a bow build and downed the Echo Knight which just a bow but of course you still equip a main hand for the buffs. Didn’t really use it but was necessary for focus regen. I like the idea of having a bow more as a utility than a main weapon.

Throw runes sort fill in this gap as well.

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s exactly where i disagree. Why even add a bow if one can’t build a pure bow build. I do not care about swords or anything else. I just want a pure bow build and i hate hybrid builds like Ranger and such.

3 Likes

I think the initial idea of the devs was to keep the ranged weapons from being 100% ranged for balance reasons. But that got thrown out the door pretty fast It was too easy for players to spam all ranged attacks with focus builds. And now they have bows use stam for basic attack.

I think it would be awesome to see now two handed bows and crossbows that don’t use focus at all!

Cone shot, multi shot, everything using stam. Then there could actually be more stam focused builds and more diversity.

1 Like

What about:

• Big/Stronger bows that work like normal weapons (consume Stamina, generate Focus) as MH (two handed?)
  • Small bows/crossbows as offhand weapons (consume Focus)

→ You can go full bow or use a sidearm

We could also go a step further and simply make mainhand/offhand weapons the same (Elden Ring style) and make (big) bows a two-handed option

What do you think?

1 Like

I like the idea of a longbow or a compound bow that you use like a 2h, would have more compelling identity than the current offhand only variety.

2 Likes

The game is focused on melee. There are already a lot of places where you can shoot at mobs with a bow and they won’t be able to react.

You will either have to redraw many parts of the map, or severely limit the range of shots.
I also like to play arpg with a bow

2 Likes

You have a point, but maybe look at it this way:

• You already have consistent ranged options in the game. They are simply gatekept behind other mechanics - e.g. Focus gain / Farming or buying consumables.
  • The areas and enemies being designed with melee in mind works both ways, Have you tried fighting towards south or in close quarters with a squishy ranged build?
  • Bosses seem to work fine vs ranged strategies (and i don’t refer to spamming them to death).

Honestly i think it would be much better for the game to give enemies more options/resilience vs ranged. Better pathfinding, charges, throws, dodges, blocks, taking cover … There are many options. That would also open up the design space for other things as well (devs not having to constantly be scared about adding any ranged options) and also make the gameplay feel more dynamic.

I agree, I myself want to play through the bow. I play all arpgs with a bow.
I just see that the game is designed primarily for close combat.
Yes, there are builds for infinite energy, and I believe this should not have happened, it can be easily fixed.

They gave a basic attack at the expense of stamina, perhaps you need to do a couple more things:
1 - limit the range of all ranged attacks (even magic)
I think about a little more than half the screen is enough.
2 - make range damage reduction. The farther the enemy stands and the further the arrow flies, the less damage it will cause.

And it turns out that we will still be forced to be in close proximity to the enemy and be in danger. But at the same time we will have the opportunity not to come into direct contact with them.

Well these are my thoughts :slight_smile:

1 Like

Why are you using a melee weapon? I started a new archer character after they released patch 1, and in 90% of the time, I use the bow. It is ridiculously overpowered and needs to be balanced.

1 Like

Yeah there a many solutions to range being an issue, without preventing you from using it.

I really like the idea of limiting the range, based on how far you can see. This would also prevent you from being one-shot by ranged enemies from off screen :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I believe the game, as it is right now, can’t handle full-ranged builds. It was clearly made to be melee-focused, and I think everything except for bosses and certain specific enemies would be unable to deal with a ranged build.

If full-ranged builds were to be implemented, I really hope they take their time to slowly change everything else around it or it would be an unbalanced mess (well, they can also use the Early Access to do some experiments I think)

My solution, shortly after release:

https://forum.norestforthewicked.com/t/solutions-to-appease-diablo-fans-without-upsetting-souls-fans/2794

Would need to play test to know for sure whether or not this would be a fun change.

Caster builds are in the game which could be considered full range builds with enough focus gain. How would bows be any different?

1 Like

Developers could add archery clothes exclusives for bow weapons, just saying maybe is good idea.

With EA Patch#1 normal bow attacks consume stamina instead of focus. Maybe that points in the direction of a 2h main hand beeing possible some time, because now the bow acts like a melee weapon technically.

The problem is “enough focus gain”, as that too should be nerfed/changed if they want to keep the combat as they probably want it to be

All bow attacks should be stamina it’s the only way to keep it balanced. You can’t spam if you need to dodge.

Honestly, i don’t know what else to say, currently bow is D Tier. We need a longbow as Main Hand like one of the guys said above