Add a Quest that unlocks Free Repairs

basically what you have in Diablo 2 with the “Rescue Cain in Tristram” quest, but for repair costs.
in Diablo 2, after you rescue Cain in act one, your bulk item identification done at Cain is free for the rest of the game (I can’t remember exactly, but I’m pretty sure if you miss this quest and finish the act, Cain is still available next act, he just charges a fee. I may be very wrong on that though).

currently I am burning through all of my money getting upgrades for my builds, and buying chests for my hoarding problem and love of sorting stuff (I love the current inventory system, will write another feedback post on that soon). I have no money left over to pay for repairs.

even though I constantly have zero money left, I can still repair for free on a fresh realm that has not unlocked Sacrament yet. I love strange workarounds like this, but it feels like a “community knowledge” thing. which reduces accessibility.

I don’t want the ability to perpetually have free repairs on a new realm to go away, but I also want it to be more accessible to people who don’t want the tedium of swapping realms back and forth.
so I though an optional quest near the end of act 1 where you can unlock the ability to repair for free at a specific sport (like in Diablo 2) would be a really clean way of getting the best of both worlds.

You make a very valid point of having access to unlimited free repairs just by having a realm there. I like the idea especially since it keeps the mechanic in the game.
It isnt exactly “costly” by any means once you find your groove mid/late game (a few dozen coppers every now and then) but free as a quest reward seems apropriate to me. Not game breaking by any means and encourages interacting with the current world set up. Still gotta go to the blacksmith and if you gain his favor why wouldnt he do it. I pay this man so many silver to farm for good weapon/armor enchants anyway least he could do is sharpen my blade and undent my armor for free lol.

I don’t really understand the need. Repairs are incredibly cheap and there are items that will repair for free (but used up). I’m only lev 21 - do things change at higher levels?

Not for or against - just don’t see how it would affect the game for the positive and for the negative it would take away the only drawback of dying (aside from the time it takes to run back). But I’ve also never considered taking the time to switch realms to repair - seems like you could make the money back by playing in the same amount of time.

ADD: I actually look for cursed gear with less durability because I find little-to-no drawback.

2 Likes

Nope. It’ll just be the same throughout the currently available content/levels. You won’t suddenly take more damage to your equipment and repair costs aren’t going to skyrocket either. I really don’t see an issue with paying like 25 coppers after dying 4 - 5 times. Durability wise, the gear could even go longer, it doesn’t even turn yellow after dying a couple times. I just repair after roughly that number since I’ll be in town again to sell, deposit or other business and head out again freshly repaired.

Edit: Farming equipment on the other hand does degrade during a full on farming run, but just using 2 small repair powders and things are back to brand new.

1 Like

As much as I normally don’t care for durability in games, I think I have to disagree in this instance.

Initially, repair costs were relatively rough, I remember it being around 1 silver 40 copper or so to repair a broken set. Now though, between the repair rune and the reduced costs (closer to maybe 50 copper only?), I think it is easy enough.

If they were to officially make repairs free, at that point I think it would be better just to get rid of durability altogether.

1 Like

You hae to die maybe 10-15 times for it to cost 45 copper(basically 4 copper per death at max). A single poise potion sells for 12 copper I believe. What is happening here that you’re dying so frequently & not making money?

I’ve sold maybe 12 items so far the rest go to in a pile. I burn my money fishing for enchants / buying more chests for the hoard. (I enjoy playing around with the mechanics more than progressing. am savoring the early game gearing feel. (23hrs and I just finished the sewers))

that and I am bad a video games :tm:.

Seems like another example of why they need to make a casual option. There are enough players who seem to want this laid-back type of experience that allowing them to make repairs free, reduce difficulty, remove fall damage, etc. seems like the right course of action.

As long as the casual and normal gameplay characters are kept separate, everyone should win.

(so everyone gets what they want, an option to adjust these settings in the casual realm would be ideal)

An option to change certain mechanics when creating a realm might be the answer to many posts. As long as people understand that it isnt a Priority right now and might come in later updates, that would be best I think.

1 Like

I think this is 50%, but you need restrictions for players join which realms. Otherwise everyone will have farming realms with different rules.

Are there going to be “Leaderboards” or some sort of competitive element? Have that separate and with set rules and difficulty, whatever is modified and is outside of those parameters wont qualify and wont be considered for the competitive evaluation.

There’s going to be multiplayer. Maybe ladders?

But there’s also the issue of game developers allowing the players to ruin the game experience by giving them what they think they want.

I recently conversed (via thread) with a player who felt that it was no fun finding dropped gear in the game because it’s never as good as the bottom level gear they rank up. This confused me as it wasn’t my experience. But as it turned out, the player had additional realm(s) setup ONLY for harvesting materials, so they were able to consistently have their gear fully upgraded.

The multiple realms thing is really cool, but it gives players too many options to ruin their own experience. Not sure of the perfect way to fix this, but additional barriers between realms/characters should help - especially if they’re going to let players create the settings for their own realms.

It may be as simple as ‘do whatever you want in single player’ but ‘multiplayer is closed off’.

Thats true that no one really knows what they want until they have it. I 100% agree that the devs know best at what needs to be done and how, all we can do is speculate and share our experience with the game.

Also, people who compete and dedicate time and effort into the game to be “The very best there ever was” will eventually have better gear through luck of the draw or sweat and tears. Its all a matter of time with or without restrictions on drop rate/realm hop availability.
We’ll have to wait and see I suppose : )

1 Like